[Bf-committers] GSoC 2011: Improving Retopology Tools

Sergey Kurdakov sergey.forum at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 23:22:37 CEST 2011

Hi Tom

>No, quad dominant remeshish is much more specialized and uses
>algorithms wholly inappropriate for what this student is working on.

so rohith was intended to use pen to outline simplified area, after he
finished integration into blender,
and it is inappropriate - how do you know? because your first reaction
was it is wrong and you will 'press ahead'

the point here - to use algorithm - and it is already integrated with
Blender and can be further used ( or not ).

why to use? because the algorithm is much more powerfull and can
retopo quite difficult areas unlike script you promote.

of cause - the trade of - how difficult is to use, but your point that
it is inappriate is overstretched - the algo can be used to
remesh with given quality sketched mesh..

> Dual contouring is what nick bishop (not farsthary is working on, and
> again completely irrelevant to the task at hand.

the story is - the algo is donated to Blender foundation for use, and
Nick integrated the code.

and sorry, I would say that I never mentioned Farshary as a author or this code,
I mentioned him in relation to Unlimited Clay - ability to fill
surfaces, remesh them adaptivly etc.
his skills could be of some use in the regards

> The type of filling by these algorithms is totally inappropriate for
> the task at hand.

I'm sorry Tom, but the algo is used just for this purpose

browse at this page
http://tetgen.berlios.de/features.html

Refine surface meshes

Regards