[Bf-committers] GSoC 2011: Improving Retopology Tools

Alice Li li.alicem at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 21:08:26 CEST 2011

Hi,

My name is Alice Li, I'm a 3rd year student majoring in Computer Science at
the University of Toronto and I'm interested in participating in GSoC 2011.
I have only recently discovered my passion for computer science (3 years
ago) and have not contributed anything to the open source community yet, but
I would really be grateful for the chance to start with GSoC.

I have been using Blender for 3 months now and I hope to contribute to the
retopology tools, specifically:
- *Pen tool* to quickly draw polygons without the need to fill faces
manually
- *Paint Stroke tool* for adding faces based on intersecting strokes

I chose these because I personally would find these tools very useful as I
found it a little tedious to manually create faces. As well, I have some
experience with interpolation and numerical integration that I have learned
in a numerical methods course. I have programmed in Python for 3 years now,
Java and C for 2 years now.

I would appreciate it if any of you could give me some pointers as to which
areas of the documentation/api to look at to help me get started with my
proposal. I also want to get as much information as possible so I can create
a very reasonable timeline and to know if I may be overshooting or
undershooting with my proposal ideas.

Thanks very much in advance,
Alice