[Bf-committers] Blender IRC meeting

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Apr 3 18:33:17 CEST 2011

Hi all,

1) 2.57

- Startup.blend changes: discussed were two defaults:

Continuous grab: disable as default factory setting. Reasoning: it's
jerky on slow redraws, on fast mouse moves it's losing offset, on
small areas annoying, on headers annoying too (move up or down).
People who like it or already use if have in their startup anyway, but
the regular bugreports about it show it's not a good default.

Open Image thumbnails for image browse: currently still disabled. It
will crash Blender on any corrupt file in a directory, without
feedback what's wrong. Andrea would like to see it default though,
several bugs have been fixed here and it's more stable than in 2.56.

- Startup issue: when we move to 2.57, the startup.blend, scripts and
other config files are not read. Users have to manually copy it
over... can we find a nice way to help migrating it? For example
option in the splash to allow this...

- Meeting agreed on doing another RC (2). We can do final release
within a week then. Ton will send builders official request later today.

- Jens Verwiebe is also available for OSX test builds, to assist Damien.

2) other projects

- The new buildbot progresses well, for Linux it now even builds
binaries similar to releases. Brecht will help getting a system in
Blender Institute to make builds.
http://builder.blender.org/

3) GSoC

Students can still apply until friday April 8, 1900 UTC. Don't wait
too long!

-Ton-