[Bf-committers] "Experimental" pydna

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Apr 3 15:32:15 CEST 2011

Hi all,

Last september, Revision 31766, Campbell added this:
-----------
./intern/tools/pydna.py
Experimental module (for developers only), exposes DNA data via python
uses no blender/python modules, pure python + autogenerated ctypes api.
-----------

Since it allows full Blender data access, scripters are using it to
cover up for missing RNA parts. A 2nd Life developer in IRC asked if
we could enable it on the 2.57 release, by ensuring it works for
Windows as well (needs a small #ifdef DNA hack).

My suggestion would be to really not do this, it doesn't belong in
releases. By "fixing" this backdoor to work in all released binaries
we only will regret it later on. We don't have our RNA project for a
good reason...

Because 2nd Life really needs image access, I advised them to provide
temporarily a special build for their users to survive the period
until we have our own decent working RNA level image access.

Please advise if that's acceptable?

-Ton-