[Bf-committers] Unlimited Clay update

raulf at info.upr.edu.cu raulf at info.upr.edu.cu
Fri Apr 1 19:30:44 CEST 2011

Hi LetterRip :)

>> I have discovered also a memory issue that is eating a lot of RAM as I
>> sculpt, due to no correctly freeing PBVH rebuilds, I have pointed many
>> times that also a big performance eater is the global nature of all
>> EditMesh operations: for split faces the function iterates over te whole
>> verts, edges and faces lists, for any editmesh operation those lists are
>> traversed, I hope that will be tackle in future Blender development and
>> hope BMesh will allow local editmesh operations.
>
> I believe that BMesh does, hopefully joe can give some insight.
>
> Is the not freeing pbvh rebuilds a issue just for unlimited clay or is
> it an issue for other PBVH users also?

It only concerns UnlimitedClay, since all other sculpt pippline is pretty
much static and topology does not change, therefore there's no need to
constantly rebuild/update the PBVH.
 For example, in 3DCoat, the performce of the LiveClay brush is the same
as any other static brush if no faster, in Blender those issues drag a
lot the speed with even 12k polygons :(!
 The whole unlimitedClay system is fine, and as my last video shows it
subdivide beatifully and creates very nice adaptive subdivisions shapes
so dealing with the global nature of the editmesh and a fast PBVH update
method is crucial for the performance :)
 Luckily in Blender we have the manpower to do that.

Cheers
Raul