[Bf-committers] Unlimited Clay update

raulf at info.upr.edu.cu raulf at info.upr.edu.cu
Fri Apr 1 18:26:44 CEST 2011

Hi all

Yesterday, in a code sprint the whole nigth I have implemented new
optimizations to the dynamic subdivision, specifically in the face
classification part (to determine if a face will be smoothed and
subdivided).

That code proves to be higly optimized as a I quickly discard faces to
avoid expensive triangle-in-brush-sphere tests but sadly the PBVH issues
is holding down performance to no end :(

I have discovered also a memory issue that is eating a lot of RAM as I
sculpt, due to no correctly freeing PBVH rebuilds, I have pointed many
times that also a big performance eater is the global nature of all
EditMesh operations: for split faces the function iterates over te whole
verts, edges and faces lists, for any editmesh operation those lists are
traversed, I hope that will be tackle in future Blender development and I
hope BMesh will allow local editmesh operations.

Soon I will clean up the whole UnlimitedClay patch, to migrate the code to
a recent build and spot loose bugs, in order to avoid unecessary delays
for the community I will probably release then a developer/test patch to
allow devs collaboration.

Every performance improvement count and I'm sure with more hands the
community will be playing soon with UnlimitedClay.

Cheers
Raul