[Bf-committers] Accessing post-modifier datablocks

Tom Edwards t_edwards at btinternet.com
Fri Sep 24 15:48:58 CEST 2010

  I'm writing an export script, and since the target format does not
support an object/data model I need what I export to match what is
displayed on-screen. My problem is that datablocks provide incomplete
data, as object settings like transformation and modifiers are naturally
not applied to them.

I've been able to bake object transformations, but applying modifiers
fails if a mesh object has shape keys (as my script's often do). The
message is "Modifier cannot be applied to Mesh with Shape Keys", and I
can't think of a way around it.

Blender needs to properly support exporting to simple formats, and the
data needed exists: I can see it in the 3D View. An accessor is called
for, something like object.data_modified, to a read-only datablock
instance scaled, rotated, mirrored etc. to be as it appears to the user.

Thanks.