[Bf-committers] [Bf-blender-cvs] SVN commit: /data/svn/bf-blender [32047] trunk/blender/source/blender/ blenkernel/intern/unit.c: patch [#23796] Full support for unit buttons: area, volume, mass, velocity and acceleration

Lorenzo oni.lore at tiscali.it
Thu Sep 23 16:14:44 CEST 2010

On 23/09/2010 09:51, Carsten Wartmann wrote:
> Am 22.09.2010 15:18, schrieb Lorenzo:
>> On 22/09/2010 12:29, Carsten Wartmann wrote:
>>> Am 22.09.2010 04:36, schrieb Campbell Barton:
>>> I wish that I could also enter "2cm/s" or "30°/s" into the BGE Logic
>>> Bricks. Of course the Fps setting in the World needs to be taken into
>>> account for this.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Carsten
>>
>> For speeds and accelerations I've implemented only a small subset of units:
>
> I thought that if the system knows 1m=100cm it would be smart enough to
> convert/parse it in parts?

Units, even derived ones like area and velocity, are hardcoded for now.
Blender doesn't know that cm, cm² and cm/s are related.

> However, where can I enter a speed in Blenders GUI?

I used props created ad hoc during testing, so I don't know.

> But my main concern is that you cant use units in the Game Engine Logic
> Bricks at all!

Indeed I've just noticed that. Making buttons unit-compatible is trivial
but there isn't enough room inside buttons. Those logic bricks' frames
are too small and oftentimes the label is inside the button itself.

> Also in the Motion LogicBrick it makes no sense to enter a speed at the
> moment, because now we have there a distance which the object travels in
> one Frame (means 1/FPS seconds) which is already a speed. However for a
> beginner it would be much easier to enter a speed directly, and have the
> motion actuator convert it to a distance per frame.

I'm not familiar with GE code, so I don't know how time is handled there.

Lorenzo Tozzi