[Bf-committers] Introduction and Request

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Wed Sep 22 05:43:51 CEST 2010

On ti, 2010-09-21 at 21:15 -0300, Juan Linietsky wrote:
> However, Blender still has a huge drawback in game development, which is the
> very poor Collada support. I have no doubts that the support in 2.5 series
> improved, but even though the artists i work with are very enthusiastic,
> support is still not at the same level they find in autodesk software using
> OpenCollada or ColladaMaya.

Blender 2.5 uses the OpenCollada lib. IIRC the implementation is not
complete yet, but hopefully easy enough to extend (I've only looked at
the source once).

> and feedback to Blender 2.5 development and help make Collada support very
> solid. However, I'd really like to know if I can count on the Blender
> development community to receive feedback and help fix the issues that will
> arise in this real-world-usage scenario of Blender 2.5.

Yes, at least given the help is about getting your patches applied
etc :)

We are now testing things with Collada too in our project. We've
previously written a kind of generic network client for games and other
realtime multiuser 3d apps using Ogre (realXtend Naali), and are now
experimenting with a WebGL+WebSockets client as well ('WebNaali'). Are
now devving using the simple GLGE WebGL 3d engine and using the Collada
support there for loading models. Probably won't implement Ogre .mesh
problems when the files are too big.

> Juan Linietsky

~Toni