[Bf-committers] Patch [#23758] Better handling of UTF chars in UNITS fields (lengths, angles, etc.)

Lorenzo oni.lore at tiscali.it
Fri Sep 10 18:40:26 CEST 2010

Hi all,
   I've just submitted a patch to the tracker. It's a little bugfix
that, as stated in the tracker, is quite useless now because it affects
only microns.

But if we implement units like area and volume (I'm working on it) it
will be a problem.

Just a quick overview: when a user clicks a button that displays a value
with unit (like '2m 20cm'), the value is translated to an editable
string. Everything is cool unless the unit has UTF chars, like microns
or degrees. In that case the offending (and all the following) char is
deleted from the editable string.

This patch makes blender translate the unit to a keyboard-friendly
ASCII-only string:

E.g.
shown value '20µm' --> editable string '20um' instead of:
shown value '20µm' --> editable string '20'

Lorenzo Tozzi