[Bf-committers] Double vs. single quotes in RNA paths

Lukas Tönne lukas.toenne at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 2 12:43:08 CEST 2010

I had a bit of hair-pulling yesterday when trying to use the
RNA_path_resolve function in nodes socket buttons (i.e. not in the
console). It turned out i was entering collection selector strings
with single quotes instead of double quotes:

objects['blabla'].data

instead of

objects["blabla"].data

In the console this also works with single quotes, so my suggestion is
to extend the rna_token_strip_quotes function (rna_access.c) to also
support single quotes. This would affect the selection of collection
items, ID properties and vector- and color components (myvector['x']).
I think it would avoid some confusion for users, who are used to the
console, when entering paths in other areas, e.g. drivers.

Here's a patch:
https://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=23632&group_id=9&atid=127