[Bf-committers] Auto-registration in Python

Nathan Vegdahl cessen at cessen.com
Thu Oct 28 08:50:19 CEST 2010

After having worked on Rigify for a while, and also working on porting
some custom scripts for Overgrowth, I'm really starting to despise the
auto-registration of RNA properties, operators etc.

I think this may be one of those things that is convenient in simple
cases, but is just troublesome in complex cases.  For example, I'm
still struggling to figure out how to make the Rigify addon unregister
cleanly.  Ditto with the porting project I did.  It doesn't seem
possible.  But it was trivial with manual registration.

I would much rather manage the registration and un-registration
manually, so I can guarantee that everything works cleanly even in
weird corner-cases.

And just as a 'feeling' the auto-registration seems too "magical" to
me.  It's like my code is doing things I never told it to do.
And it makes it difficult (impossible?), for example, to write a class
(say, a panel) that is just meant to be inherited from, but not
directly registered.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.  I'm finding auto-registration to be a
needless headache, for only minor convenience gains in simple cases.

--Nathan