[Bf-committers] Blender Proceedings, proposal

Paolo Ciccone phciccone at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 06:45:05 CEST 2010

Hi Ton.

I think that the idea of a "Blender Magazine" is great. Blender has reached,
IMHO, critical mass and the public at large is constantly clamoring for more
content and information. Especially of the "accessible" kind
I think that the idea of providing a periodical with high polish is a good
one.
Having said so, I have to say that I disagree with a few key points in the
plan:

- 19 Euro for a magazine is a high price. I'm not sure it will be easy to
find buyers. I myself hesitate to buy any magazine that costs $6.00 (USD) or
more.
  This is for established, general-purpose 3D publications. I buy a few book
every now and then, and they have to be really worth the money. The asking
   price for a Blender manazine, should be, IMHO, quite a bit lower than
E.19
- The title "Procedings" is a bit obscure. To myself and other people I
asked it gave the idea of a report about the meeting minutes, or summaries
of public
  events. It can definitely work against the goal of the publication.
Selecting something with a bit more "sex appeal" would help the sales.
- Printed format is a risk and it limits the distribution worldwide. If I
were in charge of deciding the future of a magazine/publication starting
today I would
  not think of printing it at all. Especially for a technical publication.
PDF/ePub with publishing on Apple BookStore and Amazon/Nook would be the
only means
  that I would consider. Selling the printed version and delivering the
electronic format for free would be economically akin to suicide. On top of
that I find that if I
  have a choice between printed and ebook, I buy the ebook all the time. I
can search it, a feature fundamental for any technical paper, I can have the

  publication with me all the time, together with all the other
books/magazine, and it doesn't require additional physical space.

Putting an emphasis on the eBook can also help in providing a format that is
more pertinent to Blender, by adding embedded movies that can integrate the
explanation of articles
centered around the topics of animation and post-processing/compositing.

On the plus side, I agree that a magazine which is professionally formatted,
with high-quality content and published by the Blender Foundation/Institute
would definitely be well received.

All said in the spirit of helping and providing what I hope is seen as
constructive criticism.

All the best.

Paolo Ciccone
www.preta3d.com