[Bf-committers] Proposal for sculpting on deformed mesh

Sergey Sharybin g.ulairi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 07:20:14 CEST 2010

Hi,

Yep, i understood that applying sculpting through armature is important for
artisis, i think it's possible -- will try to implement after bconf. Also
will investigate question related to shape keys.
Btw, armature could be handled if it's applied on basemesh (without any
modifiers between base and armature) and if it's applied directly on
multires. In other cases it can't be handled correct.
So there is still problem with most of modifiers, which could be enabled in
sculpt mode.

So,
what to do: enable sculpting on armatured/shapekeyed mesh
still not sure how should work: how other modifiers should be handled.
should them be simply disabled in sculpt mode, or approach with some kind of
cage (which could be enabled/disabled) would be more useful?

2010/10/27 Nathan Vegdahl <cessen at cessen.com>

> It's an interesting idea, and it certainly covers the general case.
> At the very least this seems worth having in Blender until a better
> solution comes along.
>
> However, at least for rigging applications it's pretty important to be
> able to sculpt directly on the deformed mesh, at least for armature
> deformations.  This is important for making corrective shape keys, for
> example.
> Admittedly it's an under-constrained problem, but I think still solvable?
>
> And dunno if this is within the scope of what you're doing, but I
> would really, really like to see the "you can only sculpt on locked
> shape keys" restriction removed.  That's _not_ an under-constrained
> problem, since it's just simple vector addition between shape keys.
> And being able to sculpt shape keys even with other shape keys active
> would be great for sculpting face shapes, for example.
>
> Anyway, good work.  For rigging purposes I feel like it's only a
> stop-gap solution, though.
>
> --Nathan
>
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Matt Ebb <matt at mke3.net> wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 6:11 AM, Sergey I. Sharybin <g.ulairi at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>  Hi, Blender Community!
> >>
> >> I've been working under fixing problems with sculpting on deformed mesh
> >> and prepared small page with brief description of problem and way of
> >> getting rid of it.
> >
> > I don't have time to check on this myself at the moment, but want to
> > say thankyou for working on this Sergey, it's really important!
> >

> > Matt

With best regards, Sergey I. Sharybin