[Bf-committers] Issue to build blender-2.54 on Fedora Linux

Dave Plater dplater at webafrica.org.za
Tue Oct 19 22:25:55 CEST 2010

On 10/19/2010 01:55 AM, Campbell Barton wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Dave Plater <dplater at webafrica.org.za> wrote:

>>> WITH_LCMS was only ever experimental,
>>> I commented the build option for cmake since its really not useful
>>> unless your a developer who wants to get it working,
>>> even in that case we should switch to LCMS2.
>>>
>>> Blender now uses:  ~/.blender/2.54/ for its config files, this should
>>> be created when its needed, user defaults saved to
>>> ~/.blender/2.54/config/startup.blend for eg.
>>>

>> I've made a wrapper script and a version file "v-2.54" to ensure that
>> ~/.blender exists and is correct for the version in order to cope with
>> the upgrade from 2.49b to 2.5x. It would be a nice feature for
>> distribution packagers if this was taken care of by blender itself
>> because the installation is done as root and there isn't a way to write
>> to the users home except via a wrapper. I don't quite understand your
>> statement "Blender now uses: .....", does this mean that blender does
>> take care of creating .blender and I can drop the wrapper script?
>> My latest cmake build attempts are failing on openCOLLADA, I copied the
>> static collada libs and includes to a lib and include dirs under the
>> root source dir but (I use cmake gui) atm the build can't find them
>> properly. I've decided to create an openCOLLADA package for openSUSE to
>> enable the use of shared libs anyway. The blender build including the
>> building of collada static libs takes far too long and packaging of
>> static libs is discouraged.
>> The blender-2.5x package is at :-
>> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=blender&project=home%3Aplater%3Ablender
>> Any criticisms or comments appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Dave P
>>
> Yes, blender creates ~/.blender/2.54 when saving user defaults
> (Ctrl+U) or when installing Addons.
> Blender could also create an empty dir structure on startup, then
> users will have empty addons and scripts directories where they can
> copy scripts without having to guess the locations.
> But thats another topic, I think it would be an improvement but for
> now, if blender isn't creating ~/.blender/2.54 properly then its a bug
> in blender so the package manager shouldn't do this.
>
> Blender had some specific requirement for opencollada. Nathan knows about this.
> Not sure this is still the case but there was some SVN revision that
> blender needed to work properly.
>
> - Campbell

I've the latest openCOLLADA rev 775, I saw the reference to collada
AFAIR it was pre rev 771 that had a problem.
The last 2.50 blender I built, a couple of months ago, lost it's menu
bar and a couple of other widgets if ~/.blender wasn't there, in fact I
think something's missing from 2.49b if .blender isn't there. On upgrade
from 2.49b the wrapper script looked for a version file I packaged and
if it wasn't there copied /usr/share/blender/.blender to $HOME. It's
good to hear that it's not necessary anymore.
JFYI I'm busy packaging openCOLLADA as shared libs, is it relatively
stable? I'll be helping them a bit with their linux build as well, it
seems they're mainly targeting windows and mac. I haven't quite finished
my post 2.54 blender package, it's going to replace the 2.49b in the
graphics devel project so I haven't test driven it yet.

Dave P