[Bf-committers] Issue to build blender-2.54 on Fedora Linux

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 01:55:59 CEST 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Dave Plater <dplater at webafrica.org.za> wrote:
> On 10/18/2010 01:37 AM, Campbell Barton wrote:

>>> I saw the statement in svn 32512 log about blenderplayer building with
>>> cmake, I'm psyching myself up to try the switch to cmake I've got so
>>> used to scons I might even manage to fix the scons build, if it works
>>> for cmake. I tried with cmake but I think I enabled too many new options
>>> and I was trying to make it build with liblcms2-devel against the new
>>> lcms 2.0.5 all the headers are renamed to lcms2. I'm also trying to get
>>> a  doc package so that I can put 2.54 or whatever release it will be
>>> into the openSUSE graphics devel project where I maintain blender, at
>>> the moment it's still on 2.49b. 2.54 seems to be missing the .blender
>>> directory which used to be needed in $HOME for blender to work properly.
>>> Regards
>>> Dave P
>>>
>> WITH_LCMS was only ever experimental,
>> I commented the build option for cmake since its really not useful
>> unless your a developer who wants to get it working,
>> even in that case we should switch to LCMS2.
>>
>> Blender now uses:  ~/.blender/2.54/ for its config files, this should
>> be created when its needed, user defaults saved to
>> ~/.blender/2.54/config/startup.blend for eg.
>>

> I've made a wrapper script and a version file "v-2.54" to ensure that
> ~/.blender exists and is correct for the version in order to cope with
> the upgrade from 2.49b to 2.5x. It would be a nice feature for
> distribution packagers if this was taken care of by blender itself
> because the installation is done as root and there isn't a way to write
> to the users home except via a wrapper. I don't quite understand your
> statement "Blender now uses: .....", does this mean that blender does
> take care of creating .blender and I can drop the wrapper script?
> My latest cmake build attempts are failing on openCOLLADA, I copied the
> static collada libs and includes to a lib and include dirs under the
> root source dir but (I use cmake gui) atm the build can't find them
> properly. I've decided to create an openCOLLADA package for openSUSE to
> enable the use of shared libs anyway. The blender build including the
> building of collada static libs takes far too long and packaging of
> static libs is discouraged.
> The blender-2.5x package is at :-
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=blender&project=home%3Aplater%3Ablender
> Any criticisms or comments appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Dave P

Yes, blender creates ~/.blender/2.54 when saving user defaults
(Ctrl+U) or when installing Addons.
Blender could also create an empty dir structure on startup, then
users will have empty addons and scripts directories where they can
copy scripts without having to guess the locations.
But thats another topic, I think it would be an improvement but for
now, if blender isn't creating ~/.blender/2.54 properly then its a bug
in blender so the package manager shouldn't do this.

Blender had some specific requirement for opencollada. Nathan knows about this.
Not sure this is still the case but there was some SVN revision that
blender needed to work properly.

- Campbell