[Bf-committers] BGE Components Proposal

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 07:03:46 CEST 2010

HI Mitchell.
I have no familiarity with Unity (although always heard wonders about it)
nevertheless it sounds like an interesting feature.

I confess that the workflow confused me a little bit. Why to go to outliner
instead of loading the class straight from a text (internal or not)
datablock? If I'm not mistaken your original proposal (the one in the video)
was doing something like this, no?

Some details:
1) how to tell blender what is the type of the game property you are adding
(in your example "Health", "Energy" and "Regen" are floats, but and if they
are boolean, strings, timer, ...)
2) your "update" function runs every logic tic. I can see some cases where
this is more often than the necessary (given the overhead that python+logics
can sometimes produce). Maybe something to be workarounded with some
internal counter (e.g. if counter%5: return).

Those are my 2 cents for now. I think that to be able to do more with python
is a great gain for BGE. Too bad we don't have a "feature roadmap", but from
my understanding this kind of functionality fits well with present and
future plans for BGE.

Dalai