[Bf-committers] extension clause

john grant johnkonradgrant at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 6 04:09:50 CEST 2010

Hello,
I assume this topic has been brought up before, but I have not yet found
evidence of those conversations.  I would like to voice my opinion to find out
what is the truth.  If I am not understanding correctly, please let me know.  I
presume that the following text,
"Not OK is:
Author publishes a Blender script, calling a compiled C library with own code,
both under own license. "

from this source,
http://www.blender.org/education-help/faq/gpl-for-artists/

means that a DLL I wrote, let's call it "myDLL", would need a license compatible
with the GPL if I made a python script that allowed me to use myDLL from
Blender.  I believe Blender would be well served if there was a exemption that
did not require that extensions through python or C libraries become GPL or more
restrictive.  If these extensions were allowed to have any license model
appropriate, I believe Blender would see more acceptance.  Companies are
currently avoiding Blender based on this understanding.  I know, I work at one.
I would really like to see Blender used more, at my company and at companies we
interact with.

I hope the issue is clear.  Please let me know if I understand the license
statement correctly and if the Blender Foundation would consider an exception
clause for extending Blender.

Sincerely,
John