[Bf-committers] OpenGL Profiles Project?

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Tue Oct 5 19:29:58 CEST 2010

Hi,

The sad truth is that the implementation of Opengl, driver versions,
bugs in drivers, all make Opengl not work as smooth as it could be.

The idea of a Profile is that you can setup per-system settings that
match the used hardware. These could be topics like:
- FSA
- Buffer swap methods
- Bitmap support
- mipmap settomgs
- GLSL support levels
- VBO (I guess)
- dual graphics cards (?)
- multi monitor setups, or stereo
- ....

This should not to be automatically checked on, because most cards
support it more or less. The profile is to ensure you can get maximum
performance and best quality user experience.

What is also possible it to extend our bgl calls (like
bglBegin(GL_POINTS)), which wraps specific problematic calls in Opengl
to match what we expect. The choosen profile can work that way without
polluting the code with checks, making it all local in a single C file
or so.

If you check in our code, the places where opengl extension or vendor
strings are being checked is probably a good indication where we have
issues.

Hope this info helps. Be warned it's not the best beginner code
project, good understanding of opengl on various systems, and on how
Blender uses opengl is required. And don't forget Mesa!

Thanks,

-Ton-