[Bf-committers] OpenGL Profiles Project?

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 10:39:11 CEST 2010

In brief: hardware/drivers dont always support what they are supposed
to (working around driver bugs/glitches is common enough), and in some
cases features are supported are so slow as to make them unusable,
remember ATI slow selection bug?

Some snippets from blenders code...
/* workaround for os x 10.5/10.6 driver bug:
http://lists.apple.com/archives/Mac-opengl/2008/Jul/msg00117.html */
/* Windows software driver darkens color on each redraw */
/* some opengl drivers have problems with draw direction */
/* ATI opensource driver is known to be very slow at this */
/* apple seems to round colors to below and up on some configs */
/* backbuffer refresh for non-apples (no aux) */

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 6:50 AM, Mathew Burrack <mburrack at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Not to butt in here, but what exactly is the point of the OpenGL profiles? To simplify setting up OpenGL display settings? What's wrong with auto-detecting what the card is capable of and just using that? Is the goal to avoid settings that are buggy on certain cards?
>
> It just seems to me like the end users would want it to Just Work and not care (or even necessarily know about) the difference between the profiles, and would just end up picking the first one that worked, not necessarily the best one.
>
> (Just trying to understand the goal here :)
>
> --mcn

- Campbell