[Bf-committers] Dynamic springs for particle fluids

raulf at info.upr.edu.cu raulf at info.upr.edu.cu
Mon Oct 4 19:55:03 CEST 2010

Hi guys :)

One of the last frontiers of particle fluids simulation engine was
implementing plastic behaviors (previously some elastic features where
implemented using Hooke's style spring forces) but plastic remain
challenging, and Stephen was working on it since the release of particle
fluids, he end up with a very nice and clever implementation that only
lack speed.
  We where sure that it was a correct implementation but somewhere in the
code was eating up CPU cycles a lot, so last week I finally have some
time to work again in particle fluids with him and we made some
important progress :)

  I add the option of display the springs between particles, this proves
to be quite useful to see what's going on in the simulation and also
could be pretty  didactic ;) and added the option to user control the
amount of springs per particle since it was the most performance eater,
previously we where going for the raw implementation that takes into
account the maximum number of springs per particle possible , but even
the most seasoned soft body/cloth/springs simulator out there, for speed
reasons, implement only few springs per particle.

  As a result speed is increased by several factors and make it user ready :)

                I will post soon some results

                                            Cheers   Farsthary