[Bf-committers] Modifiers in python or two new modifiers?

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 3 11:19:51 CEST 2010

Hello,

I was looking into python scripting and searched for a way to write my
own modifier. But it seams that it isn't possible. So i was thinking
about writing my own modifier for Blender. But as i looked at the code i
found myself in big trouble, since i really don't know about Blenders
internal structure and my knowledge of C is limited. So I'm asking you,
if it would be possible to add two simple modifiers, that would make
life much easier. I could even provide the needed pseudocode for this
modifiers.

The first modifier should maintain or restore the volume of mesh, after
other modifiers (Armature, etc.) have deformed it. The way to this is
straight forward. Like a constraint i stores the original mesh volume
(easy to compute for closed meshes) and finds an iterative solution to
extrude the vertices along their normals until the given volume is
restored. Its also easy to use a vertexgroup to define which parts of
the mesh can blow up or shrink. Would be a very nice solution for
simulate muscles, since no shapekeys or helping Bones would be required.

The second is an alternative shrinkwrap, that does not attract vertices
to another mesh, but repels them if they are inside, to keep them above
the surface. Would be nice for cloth objects, that would no longer dive
into the character, especially if the clothes are animated by bones.

How do you think about this two proposals?

Best wishes Tobias Oelgarte