[Bf-committers] OpenGL Profiles Project?

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 15:04:05 CEST 2010

Hi Michael, the project is still open, Its normally best for the
developers who will review the patch to reply to these mails, Brecht
or Ton -.
But since they are not, Ill try :).

To me its not totally clear what OpenGL profiles would cover, some
things come to mind.

- Currently we have the GPUGlobal struct which is initialized by
GPU_extensions_init, would this be extended to detect more features?,
maximum offscreen buffer size for eg?
- Make use of more advanced opengl features but allow fallbacks? like
FSAA which we have disabled code for... or turning VBO's on if the
hardware supports it for eg.
- User selectable profiles, allow user to select a profile that draws
faster on low end hardware or force a profile if their hardware is not
recognized.

You also ask about getting help, existing developers can help out with
specific issues but first it would be good to see ideas from you as to
how you intend to do this.
Once you have some proposal its easier to make changes so you can go
ahead with the project.

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Michael Matthews <erobererunc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone out there?  As I said, this is for a class, and I have a due date for
> when I need to submit this proposal, and I'd like to know more about what it
> is before I propose it. =)
>
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 10:00 PM, Michael Matthews <erobererunc at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am looking for some help on one of the projects that is mentioned on the
>> open projects page.  Is anyone willing to give any details on the OpenGL
>> profiles project?  This is the description that is given on the projects
>> page:
>>
>> http://www.blender.org/development/current-projects/project-openings/
>> *develop an abstraction layer for "OpenGL Profiles", to wrap specific
>> calls needing exceptions for specific platforms *
>>
>> Is this project still available?  Does anybody already have an idea of how
>> to complete that task, and would like to share that knowledge?
>>
>> As for me, I am looking to fulfill a college Masters course open source
>> project requirement, and I would love to do something with Blender.  I
>> discussed options on the IRC channel and this project seemed like the best
>> option, but I'm open to other suggestions.  Thank you for any help that is
>> available.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> ~MM

- Campbell