[Bf-committers] A practical proposal for the task of re-licensing Blender

Alex Fraser alex at phatcore.com
Sat Nov 27 05:21:34 CET 2010

At the company I work for, we are doing a project that requires
customisation of Blender. Traditionally, the client has been heavily
against the idea of free software. But Blender is so good, and the
benefits of being able to modify it are so great that it can't be
ignored. The client is even considering giving the changes back to the
community. I consider this to be a big win for free software, because
even if they choose not to this time, they are now aware of the
potential benefits.

If companies have no choice but to release their extensions as free
software, then that's fantastic. Encouraging it is exactly what the
GPL is supposed to do.

My apologies for continuing this thread - I just thought another
industry perspective would be useful.

Cheers,
Alex