[Bf-committers] A practical proposal for the task of re-licensing Blender

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 17:55:01 CET 2010

Hi, All things considered I'm apathetic towards LGPL switch.

Its still quite restrictive, and I'm not aware of any commercial
extensions for blender so far, even though its possible to write them
without changing to LGPL.

May I point out that existing blender developers are not pushing for
this, one might consider if they had trouble feeding their families
that this would be of interest to them.

So with a less restrictive license I would write a commercial plugin
for blender, sit back and earn an income, right?

The thing is, I don't want to make money this way, even if I could
earn more then GPL dev. Its just not a fun way to do development, so
it would make me less interested to be a blender developer if this is
the kind of people we have to interact with on the mailing list, irc,
etc.

I think we can better focus on services and support model for income,
it may earn less short term but we will have more satisfied users.