[Bf-committers] A practical proposal for the task of re-licensing Blender

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Wed Nov 24 22:10:50 CET 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Alex Combas <blenderwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ton I think you know full well the potential which is being thrown away.
> So if you feel we should not pursue this, then I will agree with you.
>
> But I'm disappointed, as far as freedom goes no one would even notice
> the difference between GPL and LGPL except for people who want to earn
> a living writing software.
>
> LGPL is the best of both worlds.
>
> I guess the message is if you want to feed your family, then do not waste
> your time with open source unless you want to have a hobby, because
> open source doesn't care if you starve.

Let's not paint this issue in black and white, LGPL for example also
means properietary software could take parts of Blender code and use
it. If Blender would have many properietary plugins and modifications,
it does result in a different development dynamic. I personally don't
have a strong opinion on this, but I don't think it's an obvious
choice.

Brecht.