[Bf-committers] A practical proposal for the task of re-licensing Blender

Aurel W. aurel.w at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 15:16:42 CET 2010

Hello,

GPL it is, and GPL it will be. Switching to v3 would be possible to
some point anything else is completely out of discussion imho. Also in
practical terms, it's not really possible to switch to LGPL,... in
such a huge project I bet there will be at least 20-30 contributors,
who would really object a switch to LGPL and would also take the
according legal actions, if you try to do so. And you would have a
hard time patching all their stuff out and show a proof of that.

blender is not a platform or framework for any commercial software
companies to release there products with. No sense to wine about this,
at least I for myself, don't give a shit. If you want to be part of
the blender world, play by our rules, e.g. release to GPL.

Myself,  I wouldn't care about blender at all, if it wasn't for it's
openness. I don't get it why some folks think, it would help blender,
to sell out some of it's openness, to make it more appealing to the
world of proprietary software. Making it more successful by destroying
the main intention behind this project simultaneously. That doesn't
make sense to me. Imho, we should really object any non GPL extensions
and plugins

Aurel