[Bf-committers] A practical proposal for the task of re-licensing Blender

Alex Combas blenderwell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 10:42:39 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 12:15 AM, Alex Combas <blenderwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:33 PM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Look at the simplest case for a LGPL switch:
>>  if all blender developers and all contributors agree to switch to LGPL.
>>
>> We still have libraries that are GPL, these cant just be made into
>> extensions, they need to be replaced or removed/rewritten.

Sorry Campbell, I somehow missed that you wrote "these can't just be
made into extensions".
So I guess that answers my question regarding Elbeem and lzo.

Regarding lzo, I've heard that zlib is generally equivalent although zlib is
slower and uses more memory but produces better compression so that might
possibly be a replacement candidate.

But that would still leave Elbeem.

Are you absolutely certain that refactoring fluid simulation into an
extension would be impossible?