[Bf-committers] RNA property updates vs anim sys

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Wed Nov 24 06:08:41 CET 2010

Hi,

What's the deal with RNA property update functions and the animation system?

I would have expected the animation system to run the update functions
when an rna property is updated via an fcurve/driver/etc, but they're
not. Why is this, and can it be fixed? It's pretty bizarre that you
can drag a property button, see the value in the button change, and
see the results update (since the rna update function is being
triggered) but if you do the same thing via an fcurve, see the same
value in the button change, no update functions get run.

This is throwing a spanner into the works of this ocean sim work,
since I need to be able to update the simulation data when parameters
(currently belonging to a texture) are changed, eg. 'time'. It works
fine when you're dragging values in the property editor, but if you
animate it, nothing updates. It's not just updating the sim either,
the update functions are used to send depgraph update notices which
aren't being sent either.

RNA set functions are not appropriate here - I'm not doing anything
fancy to the values as they are set, it's just setting DNA directly
like most normal RNA properties - the issue is that I'm telling it to
update when it's changed, but it's not doing that.

How can I make this work?

Matt