[Bf-committers] extension clause

Dan Eicher dan at trollwerks.org
Tue Nov 23 01:05:22 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 12:51 PM, David Jeske <davidj at gmail.com> wrote:
> Although the BSD above is confusing the example, I agree that by my read of
> the GPL, an open-source GPL blender extension can load/call to a third-party
> closed-source binary code library under the GPL's "library exception".

*Users* are the key here, the only way the gpl applies is if they try
to bundle their extension with blender proper (or use gpl'd libs). You
can take your copy of blender and link it to whatever you want (as in
the 'internal tools' example given previously) and developers can
release their independent code under whatever restrictive license they
chose.

The proprietary extension links to BSD headers and implements the
'external' interface, Blender links to BSD headers and implements the
internal interface and the user does the 'aggregation' in the privacy
of their own home. Easy peasy...