[Bf-committers] extension clause

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 21 20:41:16 CET 2010

--- On Sun, 11/21/10, Alex Combas <blenderwell at gmail.com> wrote:

> I do not think you understand what exactly he is saying.

You would think wrong.

> [SNIP]
>
> So in this case the "stealing" and "leaking" of the code is
> not what causes
> them to be sued
> it is simply a matter of proof to show what the company is
> doing.

That's not stealing then. The third party is fully in their rights to distribute the modified version.

The situation I was referring to was if someone within the same organization started distributing without consent. As stated in the FAQ, unlawful distribution doesn't trigger the GPL distribution clause (with good reasons).

> The question is does the GPL apply if you are distributing
> to partners and
> contractors. I believe it does
> but I could be wrong about that.

It does, pretty much everyone on this list as said as much already.

Martin