[Bf-committers] bind poses in Blender for the Collada 1.4.1

Stefano Corazza stefano at mixamo.com
Sun Nov 21 01:41:41 CET 2010

Dear all,

Re: Alex >>

Sorry if this is a silly question, but do you mean you are working on
improving the existing Collada importer/exporter which Blender has?
Or do you mean you are going to work on something completely new?

Here are the build instructions for the existing Collada importer/exporter.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Kazanbas/Building_Collada_Branch

I build with this feature regularly, and while it is still not complete (no
animation) it does work reasonably well in general.

best regards,
Alex "blenderwell" Combas

This is the story. We were looking for a Collada 1.4.1. importer for Blender to be able to get Mixamo animations in Blender easily. We tested a number of plugins and the only one who was able to import animations, meshes, skinning etc. was the one by teraapi.

We acquired source code and rights to it, we improved it further and we are working now with some of the original founders of the Collada format here in San Francisco (Katalabs) to make it rock solid and compliant (and do a lot of code cleanup). Besides this we are testing it with all the existing standard packages, not just Blender.

At this point I rather merge or integrate the existing effort rather than working on a Collada importer that has no animation support (or limited).

Who is in charge of the Collada importer right now?

Thanks.

Stefano