[Bf-committers] bind poses in Blender for the Collada 1.4.1 plugin

Mike S blenderdev at mikes.id.au
Fri Nov 19 01:55:03 CET 2010

On 19/11/10 9:38 AM, Alex Combas wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Stefano Corazza<stefano at mixamo.com>  wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> We are working on a Collada import plugin for Blender that we would like
>> to include in the general release.
>>
>> Emiliano Gambaretto here at Mixamo is the lead developer of this effort.
>> We have a few questions that are related to bind/rest pose and how they
>> are handled in Blender vs Collada.
>>

>> Can you respond confirming these statements?
>>

> Sorry if this is a silly question, but do you mean you are working on
> improving the existing Collada importer/exporter which Blender has?
> Or do you mean you are going to work on something completely new?
>
> Here are the build instructions for the existing Collada importer/exporter.
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Kazanbas/Building_Collada_Branch
>
> I build with this feature regularly, and while it is still not complete (no
> animation) it does work reasonably well in general.

Hi all,

I agree with Alex, splitting effort into two seperate bodies of
work...one only for import, is a bit pointless.

Nathan has added the framework and a lot of the functionality. It just
needs some debugging ( skinning is a problem at the moment and armatures
have some wierdness about them by themselves.  ) General mesh
import/export works reasonably well except for some cases of complex
meshes when bits can be dropped (sketchup type imports.... messy:( [[a
lot of that is how sketchup works internally....no shared vertices..all
seperate faces!]])

typical examples in the bug data base are::

https://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=24359&group_id=9&atid=498

https://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=24265&group_id=9&atid=498

https://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=24197&group_id=9&atid=498

I am trying to work through a few of the errors by trying to trace code
and examining dae output files from a few simple test cases. Its hard
work as I'm not a super programmer or have much experience with collada.
It would be better if experienced collada users pooled with the current
effort.

Cheers

Mike S.