[Bf-committers] extension clause

Benjamin Tolputt btolputt at internode.on.net
Tue Nov 16 23:56:57 CET 2010

On 16/11/2010 9:22 PM, Alex Combas wrote:
> But I'm not a lawyer so my opinion is just an opinion.

One must always also remember that, even if you are a lawyer, claims
made about the GPL are still opinions until tested in court. It is one
of the reasons commercial companies avoid linking to GPL code even in
cases where things are not going to leave the building.

Conservative businesses (and the larger you get, the more conservative
the management tends to be in regards to licensing) tend to avoid things
that they only have an "opinion" on. For example, it was the *explicit*
static linking exception that allowed me to use wxWidgets in one job,
not the opinion of the lawyer in regards to the LGPL license being safe.
Explicit statements are much safer things to use in court.

--
Regards,

Benjamin Tolputt
Analyst Programmer