[Bf-committers] extension clause

Damir Prebeg blend.factory at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 08:47:21 CET 2010

> Sorry, but I think this is quite short sighted.
>
> If people could easily build closed source extensions to blender, it would
> not benefit blender itself, but it WOULD benefit the blender community.

Nothing stops those big companies to create closed source plug-ins for
Blender but a pure capitalistic way of thinking: they simply don't see a
true market in Blender community that would return them their investment
along with a huge profit.

And It looks like some of you are missing one thing: Blender IS Blender
community. Without that community Blender would probably just be a long time
forgotten abandonware. And Blender community members are not just Blender
users, but also Blender developers that are sharing their hard work.
You are actually saying that it would be a good thing that some wise guy can
simply take a portion of that hard work and incorporate it in his closed
source and claim it as his own. How's that benefits the community and in the
end to that guy that has actually created that code?