[Bf-committers] extension clause

Dan Eicher dan at trollwerks.org
Mon Nov 15 03:07:36 CET 2010

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 4:56 PM, Alex Combas <blenderwell at gmail.com> wrote:

> The current situation with blender is that developers are being told how
> they must license their
> code, and they have very little freedom in this regard since it is really
> just two options:
>
> a) make your code open source
> b) keep your code top secret forever
>
> That does not sound very exciting or encouraging to me.

Yep, that's your cost for 'free' because, you know, there's no such thing as
a free lunch.

Even if there were some pragmatic push to change the license I'm not too
sure how much the folks who paid actual money to 'free' the code would
appreciate such a move. If it weren't for them there would be zero freedom
to even use much less hack on blender.

Given the virtual impossibility of ever moving away from the GPL I'd say
they got exactly what they paid for.

Dan