[Bf-committers] extension clause

Damir Prebeg blend.factory at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 21:34:14 CET 2010

I don't see any benefits for Blender if it would be "easier" for Silicon
Valey guys to link their proprietary code with Blenders code. After all we
all see how they are protective about their legal rights and some of them
make their living by suing people around for all kinds of infringements. But
I also don't see any problems for them to write and use some extension for
Blender as long as that extension doesn't have any GPL code inside it.

I think that this line of License is pretty much clear:

"IF IDENTIFIABLE SECTIONS of that work ARE NOT DERIVED FROM THE PROGRAM, and
can be reasonably considered independent and separate works in themselves,
THEN THIS LICENSE, and its terms, DO NOT APPLY TO THOSE SECTIONS WHEN YOU
DISTRIBUTE THEM AS SEPARATE WORKS."

After that one more sentence says this:

"Thus, it is not the intent of this section to claim rights or contest your
rights to work written entirely by you; rather, the intent is to exercise
the right to control the distribution of derivative or collective works
based on the Program."