[Bf-committers] Have you seen this?? How to improve Blender

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 08:21:09 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 4:20 AM, Prashant Sohani
<prashant.sohani at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think we should start working on the points highlighted in the
> presentation right away. Of which, the one that can be done immediately, is
> redesigning the homepage... generating documentation and tutorials will be
> more of an ongoing process, I guess.

One of the great unknown secretes of Blender is that a LOT of the
documentation is available now. The problem is finding it. It tends to
be little tuts done by devs and first adopters for little points about
the program. For example there has been a good smoke tut for 2.5 for a
least a year. I used it a long time ago to make a smoke demo on
youtube. The problem is finding and getting it all together and having
the correct links on the home page.

The other side of this is that these tuts are often done with the devs
in mind not the newbie but it would still improve the learning if the
top people could find docs all in one place even if the quality is not
up to par yet. Every tip counts and the teachers need to learn before
they can make the really tight newbie vids, pdfs and manuals.

Another point I would like to make is that it is often hard, even with
the manual, to tell or find if it is 2.4 or 2.5.

When I said Mancandy 2.5, I was thinking more about the instructional
video that a working model. I don't know yet but assume that there are
 a LOT of changes with 2.5 in the animation department and that
Mancandy 2.5 would be able to show these and best practices for the
new system.

Thanks,

--
Douglas E Knapp