[Bf-committers] New blog: code.blender.org (proposal)

Alex Combas blenderwell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 21:36:13 CET 2010

2010/11/8 Gustav Göransson <gustav.goransson at gmail.com>

> Can't it be both?

I can't speak for anyone, but myself so its really just my opinion.

But I think it is wiser to be one or the other, and I'll tell you why.

Blogs are picked up by aggregators, but aggregators do not pick up other
aggregators.

This is why Blendernation and Plantblender do not aggregate each other, it
would just be total duplication, every
interesting post would show up at least twice on each site, maybe more, this
would be very annoying for everyone.

So if code.blender.org starts to aggregate content which is already being
aggregated by Blendernation and Planetblender
then I do not think that those sites would pick up code.blender.org, and
also I think that people who are already
subscribed to those two aggregators will not see much benefit to subscribing
to a third aggregator.

So on the other hand, if code.blender.org keeps its content unique (not
hosting content already published on other blogs which
are already being aggregated by other portals) then people will subscribe to
code.blender.org for its own sake, and it will
likely be picked up by both Blendernation and Planetblender thus spreading
it's reach to a much
broader audience than it could do on its own.

Just my opinion, I dont speak for anyone involved in any of these sites.