[Bf-committers] New blog: code.blender.org (proposal)

Alex Combas blenderwell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 19:48:59 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 9:25 AM, Bassam Kurdali <bkurdali at freefactory.org>wrote:

> as an alternative, you could consider an aggregator, like what
> jesterking made in planetblender, or planet.gnome.org, etc.

We already have two nearly identical aggregators (blendernation.com and
planetblender.org), what value
would creating a third aggregator bring the community? Nearly none in my
opinion.

I'm not affiliated with blendernation.com or planetblender.org in anyway, so
do not think I am trying to discourage
competition or protect them, I just honestly do not see the value in a third
aggregator.

I think what Ton has proposed for code.blender.org is a great idea.

As Ton said, he would not force people to use it so if developers already
have their own blogs then they
would be free to continue to publish to their own blogs if they want.

What Ton proposes would actually add value by encouraging developers who are
not blogging
to give it a try, and also to encourage developers with low traffic blogs to
move a more
mainstream blogging channel and thus get more exposure.

As someone just starting to look into blender development, but who has been
following the
blender community for a long while, I'm really happy to hear this
announcement.