[Bf-committers] New blog: code.blender.org (proposal)

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon Nov 8 18:09:45 CET 2010

Hi all,

For temporary docs, work in progress, and other interesting
development updates, both blender.org cms and wiki fail to satisfy.

Check what developers post on others sites for example. Blogs offer a
nice attractive layout, easy to add articles and pictures, and of
course the option to post comments.

I think of setting up a blog (wordpress) code.blender.org, with
following features;
- cool design (of course!)
- only serious posts, on topic, exclusively for people with svn-write
account on Blender
- side bar with svn commit history
- navigation to tracker, wiki docs, and other stuff that's on
projects.b.o now

The code.blender.org front end can then become a nice attractive &
lively entry point for curious new devs as well.

Note: I don't want to force it on developers to use it. More of
provide a platform, to ensure all the shattered information on
personal websites at least is being collected. But, I would use it to
document small new features, instead of doing it on blender.org cms.

Feedback welcome.

-Ton-