[Bf-committers] Meeting minutes, nov 7, 2010

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Mon Nov 8 08:51:52 CET 2010

On ma, 2010-11-08 at 07:20 +0000, Campbell Barton wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:
> > - Campbell proposes to ditch old Makefiles, Ton protests, but will
> > test Cmake in due time. Andrea mentions Cmake to MSVC has a nasty bug,
> For the record (ie. in-case Ton changes his mind). just did some tests
> with CMake Makefiles vs NAN-Makefiles.
> Single threaded build:
>  CMake: 4min, 18 seconds.
>  NAN-Makefiles: 7min, 45seconds.

AFAIK what Ton has traditionally been concerned with is little
incremental builds after one little change. Which is of course common
when developing. Used to take some 5-15secs on a G3 mac laptop IIRC :)
And much longer with SCons unless doing the quickie-thing.

So another thing to test would be doing one change in one file and
seeing how quickly cmake makefiles give a new blender after that ..
based on my experience in another cmake using project should be quite
quick.

~Toni