[Bf-committers] FFMPEG UI is bad

Thomas Dinges dingto at gmx.de
Mon May 31 12:43:19 CEST 2010

Hey,
today I looked at the FFMPEG buttons again and I have to say, that I
find the workflow very bad.
Scene Buttons:
-You can select between H.264, XVID, MPEG and Ogg Theora in the menu in
the Output Panel.
-Now you get a new Panel, called "Encoding", where we have Presets, and
the 2 menus Format and Codec.

Anyone can still follow me? ;-)

What is bad:
-The user can change things in the Encoding Panel, so the selected
format in the "Output" Panel has nothing todo anymore with what is set
in "Encoding" This is very confusing.

What would make it better: Get Rid of the H.264, Xvid entries in the
Output Panel. Just have FFMPEG.
So the User selects that,
and then he can either chose a Preset in the Encoding Panel or select
the container/codec himself and optionally add that to the presets.
This is a clear way in my oppinion.

Regards,
Thomas