[Bf-committers] bone matrix docs clarifications?

Bassam Kurdali bkurdali at freefactory.org
Sat May 22 05:58:25 CEST 2010

Hi, I've been trying to document the various bone matrices for my own
usage in python, and ran into some inconsitancies/missing docs, possible
bugs or clarifications. I'd like to update the docs with the results of
my findings.

editbone matrices:
******************

*matrix: DOC: "Read-only matrix calculated from the roll (armature
space)"
notes: it's a 4x4 matrix, seems to store bone location and rotation
(including roll).. saying it is calculated from roll alone seems not
fully true. It is in Armature space, as the docs say.

bone matrices:
**************

*matrix: DOC: "4x4 bone matrix relative to armature"
notes: 4x4 transformation matrix in armature space.

*matrix_local: DOC: "3x3 bone matrix"
-------------------------------------
notes: this seems to be a bone rotation matrix in parent bone space.

pose matrices:
**************

*matrix: DOC: "Final 4x4 matrix for this channel"
The matrix is in armature space, represents loc/rot/scale, and does seem
to show the final position; fits the docs

*matrix_channel: DOC: "4x4 matrix, before constraints"
I don't understand this one: but it seems constraints do change it,
negating the idea that it represents the unconstrained transformation.
Is that a bug? or is the doc wrong? or am I crazy?

*matrix_local: DOC: "Matrix representing the parent relative location,
scale and rotation. Provides an alternative access to these properties."
notes: the doc here does not jibe with experimentation (unless I
misunderstood the doc or the experimentation): this matrix gives the
bones' transformation from it's *rest* position, nothing todo with
parent.

cheers
Bassam
--