[Bf-committers] Build - Compile Blender for Windows x64 without Visual Studio ?

ennio tr ennio.tr at gmail.com
Thu May 20 12:36:49 CEST 2010

Hello guys,
well I'll try to be as short as possible since I don't want you to waste too
much time :p.

Till few days ago, I was compiling Blender for Windows x64 systems, using
Visual Studio Pro 2008.
With the release of 2010, I installed this last and tried to build blender
looking if there were problems.
The first test came smooth.. All went right.

But next tries went wrong.. I started to get lots of LINK errors and then
I've seen on Blender wiki that vs 2010 is not yet supported.

What I would like to do:
Since I don't own a VS 2010 nor 2008 pro License and I don't want to use
cracked software, I would like to set up a free software made building
environment... to continue to serve x64 builds to blender users.

I've seen Campbell's tutorial on how to set QTcreator and cmake on Linux,
and I tried to to the same for windows.. but I got some errors on compile
time ( while I had vs 2010 ).. and due to lack of time I dind't investigate
that much.

I've seen there is MingW for x64 too, but I don't know how it works yet.
Set VS C++ Express to compile for windows x64 is possible too using the
Windows SDK and then set VS C++ express to use SDK tools ( console only) but
I'll have to use 2010 and I guess is not supported.

I don't know other way :D..

My ideal environment would be: QTcreator as IDE, cmake and MingW ( If I
understood what those tools are used for )

Could you help me somehow ? Thank you and sorry for my english
sorry too if this is not the place to post these topics.

Bye
Ennio