[Bf-committers] Texture assignment workflow is confusing

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Wed May 19 17:08:14 CEST 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 8:35 AM, Lukas Tönne
<lukas.toenne at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Getting very offtopic now, but this discussion made me think of a few
> similar problems i'd  like to mention anyway:
>
> * Nathan's rig animation controls: having intuitive manipulators on
> the mesh object instead of abstract sliders and buttons in ui panels.

Mancandy is sort of that way. I would be nice to have it extended.

> * Softbody, SPH fluid sim: lots of "spring forces", "epsilons", etc.
> which don't translate to the animation result directly. Presets with
> reduced interfaces can help a lot.

I think this is true over all of  blender. As a newbie I would love to
have been able to just lay make this object look like Oak with the
size of the object in meters dictating the size of the material
pattern. I can't tell you how long it took me to get to where I could
"paint" stuff the way I wanted it to look. I still could be done much
better than I can do it. Something like that might need a resources
setting also. Some materials take a lot of CPU and other don't need
to.

> * Node trees: huge compositor layouts are unusable by others - not
> because they don't work, but because nobody else but the creator knows
> what values to tweak!

As the maker of them sometimes I don't even know what to tweak. :-)
But being able to group them together as we can now and having a
better group interface, as stated before, would solve that.

> As the flexibility of scripting and configuration tools increases and
> the line between coders and artists fades away, it becomes important
> to provide an easy way of creating simplified UIs for these tasks.

I have talked to 100s of people that tried blender and left because it
was to hard to use. Making interfaces newbie friendly is a must,
IMOHO. Many programs have a little box that changes and interface from
beginner to pro. I have always been happy with those as long as they
remember the settings I give it and it is not global but task/ui
specific.

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!