[Bf-committers] Durian/Hair Troubles

bjornmose bjornmose at gmx.net
Wed May 19 02:26:49 CEST 2010

Brecht Van Lommel schrieb:
> Hi Jens,
>
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 11:45 PM, bjornmose <bjornmose at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> I don't know too much about Daniels implementation of the ODE solver.
>> But in general:
>> GC  is known to find a local minimum if:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> I hope i could give some hints.
>> If I was not clear enough, don't hesitate to ask.
>> Some times I assume 'simple facts' to be known, ignoring it took me 20+
>> years to sort it out :)
>>

> I looked for larger distances, but on the instable frames, the forces
> were no bigger than other frames, and the initial residual (Ax - b)
> wasn't bigger either. So investigating the other values you suggested
> may be a good idea.  But at this point I'm happy the sim is now stable
> for the scenes I've tested, and I'm hoping that I can just leave the
> integrator code and focus on other problems.
>

> There's two problems that I'm looking into, but would also appreciate
> any ideas or help on these.
>
> Currently the scene Campbell posted seems to be simulating stable
> without collision, and the hairs are going through her face. Collision
> is reportedly problematic but I haven't tested it yet, is first thing
> I will do tomorrow. Getting a smooth collision response is important
> here, we don't need the hair to be right on the head, if it stays some
> small distance that's fine, but no jittering.

Again i am not up to date ..
But last observations were  collision is done  asynchronous.
Says unlike SB solver where collision is handled as force, cloth do a
'ad hoc' move out .
Leads  to  'spikes'  the solver  has to handle  .. shut up here:)

> The second problem, that is actually multiple problems, is that we
> can't get the forces right so that the hair is both moving enough when
> it supposed to while still preserving the original shape when it's
> hardly moving. To preserve the original shape we need to push up
> pin/goal stiffness, damping, etc, which kills all the interesting
> motion. If we don't the hair starts losing shape, which is clearly
> weird for a nearly still shot. For more dynamic sequences when we
> lower those parameters, when the hair comes to rest again it has lost
> it's shape and is just hanging down straight along the z-axis (also
> visible in the trailer when the little dragon is grabbed).

I don't know .. but feel
But, check if cloth code really cares for painted pinning ..
Last time i checked it was 1..0 ... in SB terms either goal 1.0 or 0.0
but no blending.
Rather guessing than knowing, though.