[Bf-committers] Installation/file paths

Dan Eicher dan at trollwerks.org
Wed May 12 20:03:23 CEST 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 9:14 AM, GSR <gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> ideasman42 at gmail.com (2010-05-12 at 0933.27 +0200):
> > By the way, last time I checked - gimp do this for their swap folder,
> > I recall having to point this elsewhere when we used networked home
> > dir's at the blender institute.
>
> Did you know they also do not create back ups of files so a failed
> save can mean lost work? And that they never save work in progress,
> losing work again? Sorry but "Foo throws trash in the street, so it is
> right to throw it" is not a valid reason.
>
> I believe they changed the /tmp directory because it is cleaned out on
reboot which kind of breaks 'recover last session'. Or at least kind of
recall reading that in the .deb changelog.

And I suppose one could compromise an account with *cough*autorun*cough* on
a multi-user box...

> Also, some systems default to faster defaults for placed used for temp
> files which means you get better speed too, not just the automatic
> cleanups.
>
> Depends on a separate partition for /tmp I'd imagine.

I'd venture that the majority of desktop *nix users don't go to all the
trouble of setting up a bunch of different partitions for /var, /tmp, /usr,
etc. but have a maximum of /home and root partitions and the ones who do can
also go to all the trouble of switching blender's temp directory in
~/.bashrc (or equivalent).

Anyhoo, an long as the temp dir can be changed in the UI as is currently the
case then I'm a happy camper.