[Bf-committers] small scale suggestion : keyframe extra tools

Charles Wardlaw cwardlaw at marchentertainment.com
Tue May 11 17:53:27 CEST 2010

> The reason I ask is that I am doing a bunch
> of cyclic animations for Ubisoft, where we have 8 frames
> that cycle (e.g. Walk, idle), and so I start out duplicating frame 1 to
> frame 9. Then, when I key frame 5, I get nice interpolation
> for frames 6-8. The issues is if I change frame 1, my
> duplicated 9 is now out of date, and hence all my interpolations.
> Right now in 2.49 shift-D does a clone
> which to me is inconsistent with what shift-D does with meshes.
> If i shift-D a mesh and then edit a duplicate, the other duplicates change.
> to me, a key is like a ME:, not an OB:.

Alt-D.  I understand what you mean there, although I think that such keying
would create more work than it saves.  In my experience with breakdown keys
in Maya, things get confusing very quickly.

You could do something similar in Blender, though, by not copying that frame
to frame 9 and just instancing the action in the NLA editor.  Then editing
the one action would effect both keys.

... I think. ;)
~ C