[Bf-committers] Parallel Blender

Vilem Novak pildanovak at post.cz
Tue May 11 12:05:24 CEST 2010

Just a little opinion towards why and what to parallelize.
I think what artists/animators would benefit from is faster/parallelized modifier evaluation,
since that would speed up anim playback greatly.
(I'm talking mostly about rig-specific modifiers like subsurf and armature).
With the estimates of what num of cores artists will use in future -
I recently bought an 8 core machine, and although it's a beast for rendering,
I was generally disappointed with the performance in many apps.
I realized that the best parallelized app is Z-brush(which I actually don't use for my work :) ).
So I guess 4 cores will still dominate for some time still
V.